AboutSince 1981, the volunteers have restored over 12 miles of line, together with platforms, buildings, steam and diesel locomotives and rolling stock. In addition to a scheduled service, the GWR hosts a number of galas, enthusiasts’ events and events for all the family throughout the year, including our popular Santa Specials, Fish and Chips specials and dining trains.
We operate between Cheltenham Race Course and Laverton (main stations at Cheltenham Racecourse, Winchcombe and Toddington), with steam hauled trains on most weekends (closed most of November, January and February). Open weekends and on selected midweek days during March to October, details on the railway’s website or from any station.
All day rover tickets are available throughout the day on any of our normal services over the full length of our line (24 mile round trip). These are available on the day or may be purchased on line in advance.
Children under 5 years old travel free but for safety reasons there should be no more than 4 children under 5 years of age for every adult or senior citizen.
Reduced fares are available for short and single journeys.
Discounts for groups over 10 booked in advance.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Dog friendly
- Gift Shop
- Groups Accepted
- Film or TV location - Father Brown and some episodes of Doctor Who have been filmed on our line. Other programs such as Escape to the Country have also featured our railway.
- In countryside - Superb views
- No Smoking Attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
- Outdoor Attraction
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Guide Dogs Permitted - Free travel
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Children & Infants
- Facilities for children - We have a dedicated play area for children at Toddington Station.
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Parking (free) - Free parking is available at Toddington, Winchcombe and Cheltenham Stations.
- On-Site café/restaurant - At Toddington Station & on-train buffet
- Picnic Site - At Toddington & Winchcombe
- Restaurant - The Flag & Whistle Cafe as Toddington Station provides a variety of hot and cold food and if notified in advance can cater for birthday parties, themed evenings, wedding anniversaries and other special occasions. See our web site for details.
- Accept Bank Transfers, Internet Payment or SWIFT/IBAN
- Approx length of visit - 2.5 hours
- Cash & Cheque accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Special group rates
- Visa accepted
- Available for wedding receptions
- Cater for groups
- Dogs Accepted
- Event Venue
- Free car parking
- On-site Restaurant/Cafe
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Toilets - Please note there are no Toilet Facilities at Gotherington Station.
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups - Any group wishing to have a guided tour of the Toddington site must make that clear when making the Group Booking to see if it can be arranged.
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Min group size numeric qualifier - The minimum size for a Group is 10 people. Please contact our Group Travel office, see our web site for further details.
|Opening (1 Jan 2015 - 1 Jan 2016)|
|Opening (5 Mar 2016 - 2 Jan 2017)|
* Check website for full timetable details. Open weekends, bank holidays & selected weekdays April to October.
Map & Directions
The GWR is based in the area known as the Cotswolds, and is not far from the cities of Cheltenham and Gloucester. It is approximately 45 miles from Birmingham, 50 miles from Bristol, and 15 miles from the picturesque town of Stow-on-the-Wold
Cheltenham Race Course – GL50 4SH – the station and car park are within the grounds of the race course, accessed from the main race course roundabout. Folow the signs once inside the race course to park next to our station.
Toddington – GL54 5DT - 10 miles east of M5 junction 9, at the junction of the B4077 and B 4632. 5 miles from Broadway, follow B4632 Winchcombe and brown signs from the village.
Winchcombe – GL54 5LD - the station is in the village of Greet on the B4078 Winchcombe to Evesham road.
Gotherington halt – is off Granna Lane in Gotherington. Only selected trains stop here and there is no public car parking, access on foot only please.
Public Transport Directions
By Coach: Stagecoach buses run from Cheltenham town and mainline rail station on the service D to the race course park and ride stop. From there you need to walk across the course to our station. To confirm bus times please call Glos County Council 01452 425 610. Marchants Coaches operate a service which stops near to Winchcombe station from Royal Well in Cheltenham – please note our station is in Greet not Winchcombe itself. This service also operates to Toddington station and some buses run through from Evesham. Please call Marchants Coaches on Tel 01242 257714 for details.
By Rail: The nearest mainline station is Cheltenham. This is about 3 miles from our Race Course station – bus details as above or the walk is signposted.