Westonbirt Arboretum is a remarkable place for people to enjoy and learn about trees. Borne of a Victorian passion for plant collecting, around 15,000 trees from all over the globe now offer the perfect setting to escape, relax or have an adventure…
Created by Victorian entrepreneur Robert Holford, its 240 hectares (600 acres) were planted during an exciting period of plant hunting, when trees and shrubs from all over the globe were introduced to Britain.
Unlike other arboretums, the landscape here was laid out aesthetically rather than in a botanical order, meaning Westonbirt Arboretum is truly one of the most beautiful tree gardens to be found anywhere in the world.
Pop into the Welcome Building at the start of your visit – you’ll find lots of interesting information to help you make the most of your visit as well as stories about Westonbirt’s trees and how they are cared for.
There are seasonal trail leaflets, which will guide you around some of the most amazing trees in our tree collection – hand-picked by us!
The latest addition to Westonbirt Arboretum is the STIHL Treetop Walkway which opens on 27 April 2016. The walkway is 300 metres long and gradually rises on gentle inclines to a height of 13 metres offering spectacular views across the arboretum landscape.
It is accessible to visitors on foot, using mobility scooters, wheelchairs and pushchairs and to those with dogs on leads. It leads visitors from near the Welcome Building into the treetops of the beautiful Silk Wood.
For families, our play trail is a great way to fire children’s imaginations and, in such stunning surroundings, it’s an enjoyable adventure for the whole family.
Tags: Westonbirt Arboretum
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Students and Jobseekers||£2.00 per ticket|
Under 5s free
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Accept Children over 7
- Dog friendly
- Gift Shop
- Childrens Play Area
- Groups Accepted
- In countryside
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
- Outdoor Attraction
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Hearing loop in shop and Welcome Building.
- Facilities for the Disabled
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors - 21 spaces located close to Welcome Building.
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors - Registered Changing Place includes toilet facilities as well as equipment such as a height adjustable changing bed and a ceiling hoist. The hoist can lift up to 190kg and allows users easy movement in all dimensions around the room.
Children & Infants
- Accept Children Over 3
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On Bus Route
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
- On-Site café/restaurant - Outdoor cafe open seasonally, hot drinks and food to go.
- Picnic Site
- Restaurant - The Westonbirt Restaurant serves a range of locally source seasonal meals, along with sandwiches, cakes and hot and cold drinks.
- All major credit cards accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Min group size - 10
- Special group rates
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
- Cater for groups - Visit www.forestry.gov.uk/westonbirt-groups for full information on group visits.
- Coach drop-off point
- Dogs Accepted - Silk Wood is dog friendly! Representing two thirds of the arboretum, there’s plenty of space to explore with your pooch! The Old Arboretum is a dog-free zone, providing a safe space for little ones and mobility scooter users. Please keep your dog on a lead on the Downs and around the car park and main facilities.
- Free car parking
- On-site coach parking
- On-site Restaurant/Cafe
- Open all year
- Picnic Area
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Min group size numeric qualifier
|General admission (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
* Admissions open from 9am each day. Last admission 4.15pm.
Closed Christmas Day.
Map & Directions