Be Green in the Cotswolds
The Cotswolds area has been a tourist destination for as long as we can remember, with visitors coming for the beautiful rural setting, high quality accommodation and wide range of events. It's easy to add a few actions to your visit to help care for the area.
Why does tourism in the Cotswolds need to be sustainable?
The Cotswolds is among Britain's most beautiful areas - and we want to keep it that way. As the largest Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) in England and with nearly 15,000 listed buildings, it is extremely important to conserve and enhance the natural beauty so that future visitors can enjoy the Cotswolds in the same way. The Cotswolds Conservation Board exists to protect the AONB and works with a wide-range of partner organisations to ensure that this is achieved. The Cotswolds Conservation Board produce a selection of leaflets on public transport in the Cotswolds, which can be downloaded below. A general guide to visiting attractions and getting around in the Cotswolds using public transport can be found here. Also take a look at the Cotswold Way National Trail website for lots of information on walking and public transport in the area.
Your impact on the Cotswolds
Have you ever thought about the impact that your stay in the Cotswolds may be having on the environment?
Be a responsible tourist and make a positive difference on the environment and local area. There are a number of ways to do this:
- Consider your method of transport to, from and around the Cotswolds by using websites such as Transport Direct and Traveline.
- Choose an accommodation provider accredited by the Green Tourism Business Scheme - below for details of the scheme
- Visit an attraction accredited by the Green Tourism Business Scheme
- Have a day out with a difference - leave the car behind and stretch your legs on one of the Cotswolds' beautiful walking or cycling trails
- The Cotswold Way National Trail is a great way to see the stunning coutryside without a car
- Buy local produce to cut down on 'food miles'
- Ensure you are reducing and recycling your rubbish
- Choose your town or village base so that you can use public transport to get around. See our Cotswolds public transport information that can be downloaded below
Find out how to be the perfect visitor
· The Green Tourism Business Scheme
The Green Tourism Business Scheme is the national sustainable tourism certification scheme for the UK. Businesses opting to join the scheme are assessed by a qualified grading advisor against a rigorous set of criteria. Those businesses that meet the required standard receive a Bronze, Silver, or Gold award based on their level of achievement. This means you can be sure that the accredited accommodation, attraction or Tourist Information Centre you are visiting is demonstrating action on energy & water efficiency, waste reduction, support for local suppliers and promoting alternatives to the car, as well as much more.
Public transport information
Getting around the Cotswolds by Public Transport is easy. The Cotswolds AONB website has a list of timetables and information on buses and trains. Click here to visit and start planning your journey.