Stow-on-the-Wold is situated in the north Cotswolds, all roads seem to lead to the hill-top town of Stow and it has been that way for a long time - the ancient Jurassic Way and the Salt Way met here and an Iron Age fort was built c.700 BC. The Roman Fosse Way from Cirencester to Leicester passes through Stow, although the town is mostly off to one side, reflecting its establishment as another of the planned market towns for which the Cotswolds is renowned. Because it is off the main road, the town square is large and impressive (it has known markets with over 20,000 sheep crowded there), with various houses, shops and inns around the edge, all built in the local stone. The medieval cross is a reminder of the market's heyday - placed to encourage traders to do business fairly under the sight of God. Stow had a special importance in the English Civil War; it was close by, at Donnington, that the last battle was fought in March 1646. St Edward's Church in the town centre was used as a prison for the defeated Royalist troops. At nearly 800ft, Stow is the highest of the Cotswold towns, approached uphill from all directions with beautiful avenues of trees on some of the approaches. These days Stow is famous as a centre for the antiques trade.
Town / Village facilities:
Tourist / Visitor Information Centre
Visitor Information Centre currently under review.