Witney Blanket Hall was built in 1721 by the Company of Blanket Makers. For over 120 years, every blanket woven in the town came to the Hall to be weighed and measured, and upstairs in the Great Room the Company set the rules for the trade.
After 1845 the mills established their own measuring and the redundant Blanket Hall became variously a brewery, a lemonade factory, engineering shop, office of births marriages and deaths, dance school, and latterly, a distinctive gentleman’s house. During most of its history, the Hall is also where many of the town’s public meetings took place, the death of Kings solemnly commemorated and the birth of princes celebrated with great feasts. In the 18th Century, the Hall even housed the town’s fire pump.
In 2015, the Hall reopened its doors to reveal this illustrious past and offer woollen blankets and throws, coffee pies and assemblies, both commercial and cultural. The Pie Shop offers its famous pies and platters, as well as tea, coffee and cakes. We are licenced, so wine and Blanket Hall Beer are always available.
Visitors are always welcome and are invited to come and find out more about the famous Witney Blankets. Tours of the Blanket Hall usually take place at 2pm but can be arranged at other times by pre-booking.
The Hall can also be open outside hours by arrangement and is often available for Hire by Companies and Societies. Please email email@example.com for more details.
Tuesday to Saturday 10am – 5pm; Sunday 10 – 4pm; closed on Mondays
|open (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|