Please note, Holst Birthplace Museum changed its name to the Holst Victorian House in September 2021. Visit the new attraction page here - Holst Victorian House.
Explore Cheltenham’s historic house, the Holst Birthplace Museum, where composer Gustav Holst was born in 1874.
The house is a time capsule of 19th century life with a working Victorian kitchen, Victorian bedroom, scullery and nursery. Visitors can also experience a Regency Sitting Room, of the type popular when Cheltenham was a fashionable spa town. It is the only Regency domestic room open to the public in the town and contains an impressive art collection.
Composer Gustav Holst’s life and times can be discovered in his Music Room, complete with the piano he composed The Planets on.
The museum hosts a range of exhibitions, events and children’s activities throughout the year, including its popular ‘Bake Back in Time’ events using the working coal-fired range.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£7.00 per ticket|
|Child (5 - 15 years)||£2.00 per ticket|
|Family (2 adults and up to 3 children)||£16.00 per ticket|
All entrance tickets are now Annual Passes. Come back to the Museum as many times as you like within one year for no extra cost! Just bring your ticket with you when you return.
Children under 5 free.
Assistants to disabled visitors free.
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2021
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Braille guidebook, Tours of the Museum with hands-on facilities.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
Children & Infants
- Facilities for children
- Staff fluent in foreign languages ** (List of languages are separately given)
- In town/city centre
- Max group size - 30
- Min group size - 6
- No Smoking Attraction
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
- All major credit cards accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Visa accepted
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Japanese printed material
- Spanish printed material
- Family Fun
Tours and Demonstrations
- Demonstrations Given
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Travel & Trade
- Wi-fi available
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.
|2021 - Main season (2 Apr 2021 - 14 Dec 2021)|
|Monday - Tuesday||Closed*|
|Wednesday - Thursday||10:00||- 16:15*|
|2022 - February half term (19 Feb 2022 - 23 Feb 2022)|
|2022 - Spring (1 Mar 2022 - 30 Mar 2022)|
|Monday - Thursday||Closed*|
|Friday - Saturday||10:30||- 16:00*|
* Entry is by timed ticket only booked at least 24 hours in advance via the Holst Birthplace museum website (holstmuseum.org.uk)Dates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change
The Museum is a ten minute walk from Cheltenham town centre. It is on the main Clarence Road, just opposite the historic Pittville Gates.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Cheltenham Spa. Bus service to town centre or a short taxi ride. Local Stagecoach bus route A+N or D/E. Bioth routes go past the museum.