Victoria Art Gallery
Tel: 01225 477233
Opened in 1900, the Victoria Art Gallery boasts an outstanding collection of paintings, sculptures and decorative arts. The gallery is located in the centre of Bath, near the famous Pulteney Bridge. Entry to the permanent displays is free.
There are more than 1,500 artworks on show, spanning the 15th century to the present day, including many by artists who have lived and worked in the Bath area, such as Thomas Gainsborough and Walter Sickert.
In the 18th century Bath was an important centre for portrait painting, and in the 20th century it again became famous thanks to the innovative works being produced by artists at the renowned Bath Academy of Art at Corsham Court.
Highlights of the gallery include:
- The finest Victorian interior in Bath, with a spectacular dome featuring the signs of the zodiac
- Hundreds of views and faces of Bath, including a bust of William Harbutt, the inventor of Plasticine
- Stunning European and British glassware, including one of the oldest wine bottles
- One of only two oil paintings by modern master Paul Klee owned by UK public collections
- Green benches in the upper gallery claimed by Anthony Green RA to be perfect for courting couples
Alongside the permanent collections, the gallery hosts an exciting programme of temporary exhibitions.
There are events for all ages, including free art workshops for children, talks, behind-the-scenes tours and more.
Alternatively, you can simply pop in for a cup of tea under the zodiac dome in the rotunda on the first floor.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£7.00 per ticket|
|Children||£2.50 per ticket|
|Seniors and students||£6.50 per ticket|
Art Fund card - 50% off single ticket
|2023 (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:30||- 17:00*|
* Please check the Gallery website for the latest opening hours. Allow at least an hour to get the most out of your visit.Dates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change
- Victoria Art Gallery
Tripadvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good192