Considered a significant medieval church, St Mary the Virgin's earliest features are Norman including the chancel, font and carved stone pulpit - the priest’s door may be even earlier, possibly Saxon. However the real highlight of the church is its 13th century wall paintings. Covered at the reformation, they were originally uncovered when the church was restored in 1866. However, against the vicar’s wishes, they were again whitewashed and were not finally uncovered until 1932.
The large churchyard contains a small military cemetery, the resting place of members of the Royal Air Force from the major airbase nearby, many young men in their 20s killed during World War II.
|Opening (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|