Finstock - Holy Trinity Church
Holy Trinity was built in Gothic Revival style in 1841, though then it only consisted of the nave. The chancel was added in 1905 - then intention was to demolish and rebuild the nave as well but the money available didn't match the vicar's ambitions - protruding stones for interlocking the chancel and new nave can still be seen both inside (behind the pulpit) and outside.
T. S. Eliot was baptised at Finstock on 29 June 1927 and the novelist Barbara Pym, who lived at Finstock after her retirement, is buried in the churchyard and has a commemorative plaque in the church. The church also contains a stained glass window and mural tablet in memory of Sir Arthur du Cros, inventor of the pneumatic tyre - at one time Dunlop even produced a Finstock tyre - whose family lived in Finstock Manor and whose family mausoleum is in the churchyard.
|2023 (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|