Heythrop - St Nicholas' Church
There has been a church at Heythrop since at least 1086, and today the old church still survives as a small chapel with a fine Norman doorway and interesting external carvings. After the Reformation this remained the main parish church until Albert Brassey of the large house at Heythrop Park had a new church built, reusing material from a demolished Roman Catholic church on the Heythrop estate. The tower and south doorway recycled materials from both the old church and the demolished estate church.
The new church of St Nicholas was designed by the noted Gothic Revival architect, Sir Arthur Blomfield, and is constructed in a 14th Century style, with an especially fine timber roof, decorated with carved figures of angels. The church sits surrounded by rolling countryside at the edge of the small estate village of Heythrop.
|2021 (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|