The Manor is closed for restoration and conservation works funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund. Please visit our website for more information.
The summer home of William Morris, Kelmscott Manor is a Grade I listed farmhouse, built around 1600 adjacent to the River Thames.
William Morris chose it as his summer home, signing a joint lease with the Pre-Raphaelite painter Dante Gabriel Rossetti in the summer of 1871.
Morris loved the house as a work of true craftsmanship, totally unspoilt and unaltered, and in harmony with the village and the surrounding countryside. He considered it so natural in its setting as to be almost organic, it looked to him as if it had "grown up out of the soil".
Its beautiful gardens, with barns, dovecote, a meadow and stream, provided a constant source of inspiration.
The house - perhaps the most evocative of all the houses associated with Morris - contains an outstanding collection of the possessions and works of Morris, his family and his Arts & Crafts associates, including furniture, original textiles, pictures, carpets, ceramics and metalwork.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£10.00 per ticket|
|Child 5-16||£5.00 per ticket|
|Family||£26.00 per ticket|
|Garden Only||£3.50 per ticket|
|Student||£5.00 per ticket|
Prices shown without gift aid
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Picnic Site
- Free car parking
- On-site coach parking
- Picnic Area
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Approx length of visit - One hour and a half
- In countryside
- No Smoking Attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
- Village Location - Kelmscott Manor is located in the village of Kelmscott. Parking is at the top of the village approximately eight minutes walk from the Manor. Please respect the privacy of our villagers when walking through the village.
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free)
- All major credit cards accepted
- Cash & Cheque accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Visa accepted
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Italian printed material
- Japanese printed material
- Spanish printed material
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted - Must be booked in advance
- Guided Tours Available for Groups - Must be booked in advance
- Groups Accepted - Groups are accepted on Thursdays between April and October but must be booked in advance.
|2020 Opening (3 Apr 2020 - 31 Aug 2020)|
|Monday - Tuesday||Closed*|
|Thursday - Friday||Closed*|
* Last admission to the house 4pm. Limited capacity - timed ticket system operates.
Pre-booked coach visits on Thursday.
About 3 miles from Lechlade, and signposted from the A417 and the A4095. On entering the village please follow the signs to the Manor.
Public Transport Directions
Please see our website.