The summer home of William Morris, Kelmscott Manor is a Grade I listed farmhouse, built around 1600 adjacent to the River Thames.
William Morris chose it as his summer home, signing a joint lease with the Pre-Raphaelite painter Dante Gabriel Rossetti in the summer of 1871.
Morris loved the house as a work of true craftsmanship, totally unspoilt and unaltered, and in harmony with the village and the surrounding countryside. He considered it so natural in its setting as to be almost organic, it looked to him as if it had "grown up out of the soil".
Its beautiful gardens, with barns, dovecote, a meadow and stream, provided a constant source of inspiration.
The house - perhaps the most evocative of all the houses associated with Morris - contains an outstanding collection of the possessions and works of Morris, his family and his Arts & Crafts associates, including furniture, original textiles, pictures, carpets, ceramics and metalwork.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£14.50 per ticket|
|Child 5-16||£8.75 per ticket|
|Family (2 adults and 2 children)||£34.50 per ticket|
Free entry is available for essential companions with concessionary entry for those visitors who are unable to access the 1st floor of the manor.
Our general admission tickets are also Annual Passes, which give you unlimited entry to Kelmscott Manor for a year from the entry date – and also allow us to treat your admission fee as a donation to our charity which may allow us to increase the value of the donation via the UK Government’s Gift Aid scheme.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access - The Manor house has step free access to the ground floor rooms only, all other buildings have step free access.
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site café/restaurant - Vegetarian options. Children's menu. Cream teas.
- Picnic Site
- Dog Friendly
- On-site coach parking
- Approx length of visit - 1.5hrs
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free) - A new designated parking area has been instigated keeping vehicles away from the Manor House Estate and ensuring the protection of the historic buildings and natural environment of the village of Kelmscott.
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Italian printed material
- Japanese printed material
- Spanish printed material
- Family Fun
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted - Must be booked in advance
- Guided Tours Available for Groups - Must be booked in advance
- Groups Accepted - Groups are accepted on Thursdays between April and October but must be booked in advance.
|Season (1 Apr 2024 - 29 Oct 2024)|
|Thursday - Saturday||10:30||- 17:00|
* Last entry to Manor house 4pm. Sunday – closed. General public – pre-booking on line is advisable – bookings are now being taken.
About 3 miles from Lechlade, and signposted from the A417 and the A4095. On entering the village please follow the signs to the Manor.
Public Transport Directions
Please see our website.