Thornbury Castle is a beautiful 16th century building, which was once owned by Henry VIII and Queen Mary I, and stands in 15 acres of regal splendour, surrounded by Tudor walled gardens.
It nestles on the northern edge of Thornbury adjacent to the Cotswolds countryside, 12 miles north of Bristol, and is well placed for visiting the the surrounding areas including the Cotswolds, the Georgian city of Bath, Bristol and Wales.
Following a multi-million pound refurbishment programme, guests will experience a luxurious and sophisticated castle hotel stay, with reference to the history and traditions of Thornbury’s most famous owner; King Henry VIII. Exceptional grand architecture with towers, battlements and Tudor chimneys, and the Tudor walled gardens add to the historical experience.
Thornbury Castle has 26 carefully-restored bedchambers, all named after key figures from Tudor history, many with sumptuous four-poster beds and splendid stone-carved fireplaces, making your stay just that little bit more special.
Henry and his Queen, Anne Boleyn spent ten nights at the castle in 1535, during their progress tour of England and their original bedchamber, King Henry VIII suite, is still available for guests to enjoy today. The "Catherine of Aragon Tower Suite" boasts the largest bed in a hotel in the UK - 10 feet wide.
The restaurant at Thornbury Castle offers plenty of modern, British inspired dishes, as well as some traditional favourites. All dishes on the dinner menu use only the finest and freshest ingredients, many grown in the castle's kitchen garden and herb garden. Afternoon Teas taken in splendid surroundings at Thornbury Castle are the ultimate treat for all guests.
It is also a perfect venue for a wide range of events, including private dining, day meetings, exclusive use events and celebrations, team building and corporate fun days within our landscaped gardens and original Tudor walled gardens.
The recipient of many prestigious awards for its fine food, Thornbury Castle has three dining rooms, each baronial in style, with stunning chandeliers, panelled walls, heraldic shields and open fires.
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Catherine of Aragon Tower Suite||from £539.00 to £649.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Deluxe||from £229.00 to £349.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Henry VIII Suite||from £479.00 to £599.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Jane Seymour Suite||from £429.00 to £599.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Suite||from £429.00 to £549.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Superior deluxe||from £339.00 to £459.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Superior suite||from £429.00 to £579.00 per room (breakfast included)|
*Rates based on two people sharing on a bed and breakfast basis. Dinner, Bed and Breakfast is also available.
- 3 AA Red Stars Country House Hotel
- AA Awards AA - 2 Rosettes 2018
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- Half board supplement (£) - Dinner, bed & breakfast rate available
- Local Produce English Breakfast
- Room service
- Serves Local Food
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - 8+ welcome
- Dogs Accepted - Pets accepted - £15 per dog per night. Well-behaved pets are welcome in some bedchambers, subject to availability. Prior notification is required should you wish to bring a dog, Dogs are permitted in our public areas, outdoor areas and gardens however it is essential that they are kept on a lead at all times within these areas. Dogs are not permitted in our restaurants. Guests who wish to dine with their dog will be accommodated in our lounge and library areas.
- Exclusive Use
- Garden/patio for guests' use
- Ironing facilities
- Log Fire - Feature fireplaces (some may not be functionable)
- Night porter
- Pets accepted - £15 per dog per night. Well-behaved pets are welcome to stay with you in the Deluxe Bedchambers and The Gatehouse, and will enjoy access to the public lounges and gardens • Dogs are allowed in all outdoor areas, the bar and in four of the bedrooms.
- Pets accepted by arrangement - small additional charge
- Real log/coal fires
- Separate guests' lounge
- Accessible Rooms
- In countryside
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest - the only original Tudor castle in England where you can stay overnight & the oldest Tudor walled gardens in the UK. The castle was once owned by King Henry VIII and Queen Mary I. Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn spent 10 nights of their honeymoon tour at the castle in 1535.
- Health/Fitness/ Beauty Facilities - Beauty Facilities – a selection of massages and reflexology is available in our beauty treatment room, pre-booking essential.
- Spa Treatments
- Tennis court - complimentary use of Thornbury Tennis Club courts for hotel residents
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- All major credit cards accepted
Room / Unit Features
- Four poster beds available
- Free Wi-Fi
- Ground Floor Bedrooms Available
- Hairdryer in all bedrooms
- Tea & coffee making facilities in all bedrooms
Travel & Trade
- Commission/net rates apply
- Group discounts available
- Wi-fi available
|Open New Year|
|2022 (1 Jan 2022 - 31 Dec 2022)|