Built in 1509 and once owned by King Henry VIII and Queen Mary I, Thornbury Castle has a history that’s almost palpable as you walk its centuries-old halls. In 1535, King Henry VIII honeymooned here for 10 days with his new bride Anne Boleyn and “The Duke’s Bedchamber” where the couple spent their honeymoon nights, is still available as a guest bedchamber to this day.
Today, the castle offers a unique experience as a hotel and restaurant where guests can find inspiration in a piece of the country’s original Tudor history. The 27 bedchambers are fabulously atmospheric, regal and traditional. Most with coronet or four-poster beds, and feature bathrooms. Tudor tapestries and ornate carved ceilings add to the ambience, with all bedchambers incorporating high-end facilities and fittings. Exceptional grand architecture with towers, battlements and Tudor chimneys, and the Tudor Walled Gardens and vineyard add to the historical experience. The castle interiors are just as impressive, with stone walls lined with suits of armour and open fireplaces, lending a sense of majesty to any stay.
The castle also has an award-winning restaurant and offers delicious lunches and dinners, using seasonal produce from the kitchen gardens, with an emphasis on choice and quality. An extensive drinks and wine menu is also available. Afternoon teas are a speciality and are widely renowned.
The variety of dining areas including The Tudor Hall, Dungeon and Wine Cellar boast luxuriant décor and are perfect for fine and private dining in a dramatic setting.
It is also a perfect venue for a wide range of business events, ranging from day meetings, exclusive use residential meetings, team building and corporate fun days within our landscaped gardens and original Tudor Walled Gardens.
The castle is located on the edge of the Cotswolds and within easy access of Bath and Bristol.
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Suite||£325.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Classic Doubles||£195.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Classic Superior||£225.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Deluxe||£305.00 per room (breakfast included)|
- 3 AA Red Stars Country House Hotel
- AA Awards AA - 2 Rosettes 2018
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- Half board supplement (£) - Dinner, bed & breakfast rate available
- Local Produce English Breakfast
- Room service
- Serves Local Food
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - 8+ welcome
- Exclusive Use
- Garden/patio for guests' use
- Ironing facilities
- Night porter
- Pets accepted by arrangement - small additional charge
- Real log/coal fires
- Separate guests' lounge
- Accessible Rooms
- In countryside
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest - the only original Tudor castle in England where you can stay overnight & the oldest Tudor walled gardens in the UK. The castle was once owned by King Henry VIII and Queen Mary I. Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn spent 10 nights of their honeymoon tour at the castle in 1535.
- Health/Fitness/ Beauty Facilities - spa treatments available in bedchambers by local beauticians
- Spa Treatments
- Tennis court - complimentary use of Thornbury Tennis Club courts for hotel residents
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- All major credit cards accepted
Room / Unit Features
- Four poster beds available
- Free Wi-Fi
- Ground Floor Bedrooms Available
- Hairdryer in all bedrooms
- Tea & coffee making facilities in all bedrooms
Travel & Trade
- Commission/net rates apply
- Group discounts available
- Wi-fi available
|Open New Year|
|2019 (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|