'The Friendly Line in the Cotswolds' offers a unique opportunity to sample train travel from 50 years ago hauled by steam, diesel or diesel railcar. Your 29 mile round trip from Broadway to Cheltenham Racecourse has glorious views westwards of the Vale of Evesham, the Malverns and Wales, and eastwards the Cotswolds.
The GWSR is a volunteer run steam and diesel heritage railway in the English Cotswolds. Since 1981, the volunteers have restored over 15 miles of line, together with platforms, buildings, steam and diesel locomotives and rolling stock. In addition to a scheduled service, the GWSR hosts a number of galas, enthusiasts’ events and events for all the family throughout the year, including our popular Santa Specials and Fish and Chips specials.
We operate between Cheltenham Racecourse and Broadway (stations at Cheltenham Racecourse, Gotherington, Winchcombe, Hayles Abbey Halt and Toddington), with steam hauled trains on most operating days. Open on selected midweek days during April to October, details on the website or from any of the stations.
Free car parks at Toddington, Winchcombe and Cheltenham Racecourse. Winchcombe has a 1950s themed cafe, Discovery Coach and Model Railway Coach. At Toddington a children's play area, small signal box, museums and cafe. Rover tickets give you unlimited travel all day.
Ticket prices are available on the website, discounts for groups over 10 booked in advance.
- Gift Shop
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Guide Dogs Permitted - Free travel
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Tea Rooms - Tea room at Winchcombe Station
- On-Site café/restaurant - At Toddington Station & on-train buffet
- Picnic Site - At Toddington & Winchcombe
- Restaurant - The Flag & Whistle Cafe as Toddington Station provides a variety of hot and cold food and if notified in advance can cater for birthday parties, themed evenings, wedding anniversaries and other special occasions. See our web site for details.
Children & Infants
- Facilities for children - We have a dedicated play area for children at Toddington Station.
- Available for wedding receptions
- Cater for groups
- Dog Friendly
- Dogs Accepted - A ticket is required for dogs to travel on the train
- Event Venue - Stations at: Broadway, Toddington, Hayles Abbey Halt, Winchcombe, Gotherington and Cheltenham Racecourse
- Free car parking
- On-site Restaurant/Cafe
- Shop - Shops at Toddington and Cheltenham Racecourse Stations
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Toilets - Please note there are no Toilet Facilities at Gotherington Station.
- Approx length of visit - 2.5 hours
- Film or TV location - Father Brown and some episodes of Doctor Who have been filmed on our line. Other programs such as Escape to the Country have also featured our railway.
- In countryside - Superb views
- No Smoking Attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
- Outdoor Attraction
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking - at Toddington and Cheltenham Racecourse
- On site parking - No on-site parking at Broadway until late 2018
- Parking (free) - Free parking is available at Toddington, Winchcombe and Cheltenham Racecourse Stations.
- Accept Bank Transfers, Internet Payment or SWIFT/IBAN
- Cash & Cheque accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Special group rates
- Visa accepted
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups - Any group wishing to have a guided tour of the Toddington site must make that clear when making the Group Booking to see if it can be arranged.
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Min group size numeric qualifier - The minimum size for a Group is 10 people. Please contact our Group Travel office, see our web site for further details.
- Groups Accepted
|Opening (7 Mar 2020 - 3 Jan 2021)|
* Check website for full timetable details. Open weekends, bank holidays & selected weekdays April to October.
The GWSR is based in the area known as the Cotswolds, and is not far from Cheltenham and the City of Gloucester. It is approximately 40 miles from Oxford, 45 miles from Birmingham, 50 miles from Bristol, and 15 miles from the picturesque town of Stow-on-the-Wold. Cheltenham Race Course – GL50 4SH – the station and car park are within the grounds of the race course, accessed from the main race course roundabout. Folow the signs once inside the race course to park next to our station. Toddington – GL54 5DT - 10 miles east of M5 junction 9, at the junction of the B4077 and B 4632. 5 miles from Broadway, follow B4632 Winchcombe and brown signs from the village. Winchcombe – GL54 5LD - the station is in the village of Greet on the B4078 Winchcombe to Evesham road. Gotherington halt – is off Granna Lane in Gotherington. There is no public car parking, access on foot only please.
Hayles Abbey Halt - is on Slater's Lane, Hailes, about 1 mile from the Abbey. THere is no parking at the Halt
Broadway - WR12 7DF - is on the B4632 Station Road/Evesham Road, Broadway, about 15 minutes walk from the centre of the vilage. Car parking is available in the public car park off Childswickham Road (Pay and Display).
Public Transport Directions
By Coach: Stagecoach buses run from Cheltenham town and mainline rail station on the service D to the race course park and ride stop. From there you need to walk alongside the car parks to the rear of the grandstands to our station which is signposted, just 500 yards north from the A435 roundabout. To confirm bus times please call Glos County Council 01452 425 610.
Marchants Coaches operate a service which stops near to Winchcombe station from Royal Well in Cheltenham – please note our station is in Greet not Winchcombe itself. This service also operates to Toddington station and some buses run through from Evesham. Please call Marchants Coaches on Tel 01242 257714 for details.
Broadway station is served by the NN Cresswell’s Rural 4 bus service from Evesham Bus Station (Stand E), Mondays to Saturdays, Johnsons Excelbus Service 1, and Marchants Coaches 606S Service from Stratford-Upon-Avon and Chipping Campden. Further details of bus services in Broadway are available on the Visit Broadway Bus Services web page. Please check the bus companies’ timetables for details. By Rail: The nearest mainline station to the south is Cheltenham. This is about 3 miles from our Race Course station – bus details as above or the walk is signposted. Evesham Railway Station is about 10 minutes walk from the bus station in the centre of Evesham, then bus to Broadway (as above) for the north end of the line.