Idbury - St Nicholas Church
St. Nicholas Church, Idbury, is a Grade 1 listed building. The church was built in the twelfth century, and every generation since has made their contribution to its upkeep and development. It is the only public building in Idbury and is used for all kinds of community events, such as the Idbury Arts Festival, as well as for worship. This wider use of the church as community space as well as sacred space is very much in keeping with how the church would have been used in medieval times, when churches were used for social gatherings, and even business meetings, as well as for religious services. The following account of the building, church furniture and monuments is largely drawn from two sources: the entry in Pevsner’s Buildings of England, and a pamphlet published in 1914 by the then rector Idbury, the Rev. Gother E. Mann, entitled An Account of the Parish Church of St. Nicolas, Idbury, and of Its Proposed Restoration. These have been supplemented with information from Evelyn Goshawk’s Idbury History, and from a letter of 1963 from the Idbury churchwardens to the Secretary of the Historic Churches Preservation Trust..
In the graveyard look out for the grave of Sir Benjamin Baker, the designer of the Forth Rail Bridge.
|2024 (1 Jan 2024 - 31 Dec 2024)