The Church of St Edward, was built between the 11th and the 15th Centuries - with further additions and renovations in Victorian times - on the site of an earlier Saxon church. The present church houses traces of Norman stonework, 13th Century Early English columns and arches, and a south tower and nave clerestory of Perpendicular style. The 88ft high 4-stage tower, completed in 1447, is a conspicuous landmark with an embattled parapet with pinnacles and a string course with gargoyles.
The stonework within the church has examples of Early English nailhead decorations to the column capitals, and has cable moulding round the tops of the shafts. The nave houses several grotesque corbels and some plain head corbels (probably depicting local dignitaries).
The south aisle houses a large picture of the Crucifixion by the Flemish painter Gaspar de Craeyer, who flourished around 1610. Joseph Chamberlayne of Maugersbury Manor, Stow on the Wold gave the picture to the church in 1875.
Externally is the most striking aspect of St Edward's is the pair of ancient yew trees flanking the 17th or 18th Century North Porch.
|2021 opening (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|