St James Church is a fine example of a Norman church that managed to escape overly enthusiastic Victorian restoration. The north aisle was added about 1200 and the porch in the late 13th century. This fine building containing memorials to several 17C families (including a lovely wall monument to the Jordan family), a Norman font, a wooden 'green man' carved into the roof and good quality carved stone corbel heads.
In the churchyard there are some fine 17C bale tombs, as well as a fine old English Yew tree which is more than 1000 years old and has a girth of over 19 feet.
|2024 (1 Jan 2024 - 31 Dec 2024)