Painswick Rococo Garden is a beautiful place to escape, explore and imagine.
It was designed in the 1740s as an English country gentleman's pleasure garden, a place for holding intimate garden parties. Laid out in a hidden valley around Painswick House, the Garden is now the country's only complete surviving rococo garden.
Since 1984, the Garden has been rescued from ruin and transformed into a stunning place to escape the busy world.
Ripe for riotous pleasure and romance, this is still a fanciful place, and is dotted with perfect spots for socialising or snuggling.
You can drink in the vista from the Eagle House, sit in the Doric seat, climb the narrow steps to the octagonal Pigeon House and have your photo taken in the Gothic Alcove.
There are beautifully-framed views throughout the year, the chance to battle to find the centre of the unusual maze - and of course delicious homemade food in the cosy cafe afterwards.
The Garden is famous for its snowdrops in winter.
- Admission is only by advance online booking via our website www.rococogarden.org.uk. We are limiting the numbers of visitors arriving per half hour to minimise queues and to make best use of the car park spaces available. To avoid disappointment, please do not arrive without having booked a visit in advance.
– We have a one-way route past our till point, as well as into and out of and around the Garden. Please be aware that our temporary exit route is not suitable for those with mobility difficulties.
– We will only be accepting payments by debit or credit card. Cardholding members of Historic Houses, RHS and Rococo Garden Friends will be welcomed free of charge, as usual;
– We have installed temporary perspex screens at the till point to enable transactions to be carried out more safely;
– Doors will be left open to minimise the touching of surfaces and a regular schedule of cleaning of touchpoints will be in place.
We have three picnic tables in the field above the car park and two on the Bowling Green in the heart of the Garden.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£9.30 per ticket|
|Child 4 - 16 years||£4.25 per ticket|
|Family (2 adults and 2 children)||£23.95 per ticket|
|Over 60s||£8.20 per ticket|
|Students||£5.80 per ticket|
Prices exclude gift aid. Under 4s are free.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Green Awards Green Tourism Business Scheme (Silver) 2011
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Plant Sales
- On-Site café/restaurant - Licensed coach house morning coffees, lunches and home-made teas. Maximum of 50 people.
- Picnic Site
- Advance booking essential
- Contactless payment only
- One way system
- Online booking only
- Open now
- Outside seating
- Pets welcome during COVID-19 restrictions
- Dog Friendly
- Dogs Accepted
- Event Venue
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Approx length of visit - 2 hours
- In countryside
- Max group size - 54
- Min group size - 20
- Outdoor Attraction
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Solo accepted
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Groups Accepted
|January - November (10 Jan 2023 - 30 Nov 2023)|
* Opening days and times are currently under constant review so please contact our website for the latest information.
Last admission half an hour before closing time.
Nearest major road is A46. From Painswick turn right at the traffic lights onto B4073 Gloucester Road. Entrance 0.5 miles on the left.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Stroud station. Take the A46 to Cheltenham; in Painswick, turn left onto the B4073 Gloucester Road.