Swinbrook - St Mary's Church
Set in the Windrush Valley, St Mary's church is 12th century with early enlargements and a tower tacked on in 1822 – a recent ‘afterthought’. It is full of interest and light, the clear glass windows illuminating both the architecture and some amazing monuments to the Fettiplace family – six effigies in two triple tiers ‘like passengers on an old-fashioned steamer’. One of two sanctuary brasses is to Anthony Fettiplace (d.1509).
Near the porch are headstones to three of the Mitford sisters, Nancy, Unity and Diana Mitford. Their parents, and a fourth sister Pamela, are buried elsewhere in the churchyard. There is a plaque to their brother, Tom, inside the church.
|2021 (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|