A tiny church on its own in the Windrush Valley. In 1904 it was found to have been built on the base of a Roman house or temple. Mainly 13th century it has remnants of an 11th century Saxon or Norman building, e.g. the dividing wall, a chevroned corbel and the plain rough font.
There are two areas of uncovered Roman mosaic and several 14th century wall paintings. The nave has early 19th century box pews. Widford was a substantial village in the Middle Ages but today only the 16th-century manor house and a few other houses remain. St. Oswald's stands in a field whose cropmarks show the outlines of former buildings.
|2020 (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|