Alvescot - St Peter's Church
The architecture is in the Early English and Perpendicular styles consisting of nave, 14th century porch, transepts, north and south chapels. Originally there was no tower but it was added in the 15th century after a local benefactor, John Bonde, left 100 sheep to fund its building!
Inside there are a number of interesting features: medieval carved head corbels, which would have originally supported the roof beams - when the roof was raised in the 1870s they were left stranded on the walls; a Burne_Jones designed window installed in 1910; a brass wall memorial to the Malorye family dated 1579; and in the north wall of the chancel a low-level window with a book rest set into the wall - perhaps a leper window or a squint for those outside not allowed into the church to witness the sacrament.
Alvescot Church Guide (pdf 4.2Mb)