Burford - St John the Baptist Church
One of the large Cotswold 'wool churches' built between 1160 and 1475. Items of interest include: a memorial tablet to Henry VIII’s barber-surgeon, Edmund Harman, showing one of the earliest representations of South American Indians; the ornate, canopied tomb of Sir Lawrence and Lady Tanfield; a tablet commemorating the Burford mason, Christopher Kempster, who was employed by Christopher Wren on the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral, and a pre-Christian carving dated at 100 AD, possibly depicting the Celtic goddess Epona.
In 1649 mutineers in Cromwell's army (Levellers) were imprisoned in the church - one of them carved his name on the font! - before being forced onto the roof to watch their ringleaders execution in the churchyard. Those executed are commemorated on a plaque close to the porch.
|Opening (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|