The church has an unusual tower, positioned in the north west corner of the church it is square at ground stage, octagonal at upper stages with a pyramid roof, and is characteristic of Normandy churches. The nave was originally aisleless and may be preConquest. The south aisle was added in the late 12th century and in the mid 13th century the chancel was rebuilt on spacious lines, with a crypt under its east end. Also in the 13th century the arches of the south arcade were rebuilt, and the south porch added.
The lavish north chapel, added c. 1340, was probably built by John, Lord Grey for the tomb of his mother Lady Margaret. It has elaborate late Decorated window tracery, and a frieze of carved grotesques, crouching monsters, some half human, and corbels in the form of music making animals.
The large west window was added in the late 15th century, possibly by Bishop William Waynflete, who was provost of Eton College, to whom the church and priory had passed in 1441, and whose arms were formerly in stained glass in the church.The church was damaged during the Civil War, when the elaborate stained glass showing the family connexions of the de Greys were destroyed and in 1677 was paved and repaired by William Blake.In the north chapel a large monument with three marble busts commemorates the Blake family.
In 1967 the chancel was repaved with flagstones from nearby derelict cottages and with broken tombstones from the churchyard.
|2023 (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|