Leafield - St Michael and All Angels Church
The present church was built in 1859-60 to a design by Sir George Gilbert Scott, one of a trio of eminent Victorian architects. The original spire was rebuilt in 1865 and further shortened in 1934. Even so, the church is visible for many miles around and is a much loved local landmark.
Some eleven years after completion of the church, a fine organ by Nicholson of Worcester was installed and is in use to this day. Sadly, the contemporary sheet metal scrolls with painted texts by the vicar’s wife, which decorate many interior aspects of the walls have now faded.
The tower houses a peal of eight bells, dedicated in 1874 and a tower clock was commissioned the following year.
The church (Grade 2*) is listed together with the First World War memorial lych-gate.
|2024 (1 Jan 2024 - 31 Dec 2024)