Berkeley Castle was built in 1153 by the Berkeley family, who, 27 generations on, still live there today. Over the centuries it has changed from a fortress to a welcoming family home.
Covid-19 update: Berkeley Castle is due to reopen on July 19th
Travel through time and history, from the Keep, with its dungeon and the cell where Edward II is said to have been murdered, to the Drawing Rooms, with their fine upholstery, chandeliers and silver lamps. Visitors can see superb silver, paintings from the 16th-20th centuries, fine furniture and a unique spider’s-web ceiling.
Discover the colourful Berkeley family, who were involved in many major events in England’s history; make up your own mind about the love story involving Mary Cole and the 5th Earl of Berkeley; find out which play Shakespeare wrote for a Berkeley family wedding.
Stroll in the terraced gardens, filled with unusual plants, and walk among free-flying butterflies in the Tropical Butterfly House. Our very special Yurt Tearoom serves hot and cold drinks, cakes, snacks and light lunches. Call into our lovely Gift Shop before you leave, you’re sure to be tempted by our great selection of Castle mementos and locally sourced produce. Check out our Plant Sales Area where you’ll be able to purchase something to remind you of the 8 acres grounds and gardens surrounding the Castle.
Henry II gave the Castle to the family in 1153 and it has received royal guests ever since: Edward II, Henry VIII, Elizabeth I, the late Queen Mother and the Countess of Wessex have visited Berkeley Castle. Why not add YOUR name to that impressive list of visitors?
Groups welcomed with your own Guided Tour and a dedicated Guide to help you plan the perfect visit. Free school holiday activities include Arts & Crafts, Archery and Falconry. Many other events for families throughout the year.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult Global (Castle, Grounds & Butterfly House)||£12.50 per ticket|
|Child Global (Castle, Grounds & Butterfly House)||£7.00 per ticket|
|Family Global (Castle, Grounds & Butterfly House)||£35.00 per ticket|
|Senior Citizen - Global (Castle, Grounds & Butterfly House)||£11.00 per ticket|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- AA Awards South West Tourism Excellence Awards 2017/18 - Highly Commended 2018
- Bristol Tourism & Hospitality Award Bristol, Bath, & Somerset Tourism Awards 2018/19 - Silver 2018
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2020
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Plant Sales
- On-Site café/restaurant - Licensed self service tea room. Pre-arranged lunches and teas.
- Picnic Site
Children & Infants
- Accept Children Over 3
- Facilities for children - Outdoor Games Children’s Dragon Treasure Hunt Dressing-up Area 8 acres of Grounds & Gardens Free Arts & Crafts for children on Bank Holidays and School Holidays
- Advance booking essential
- Contactless payment only
- Face masks required for staff in public areas
- One way system
- Online booking only
- Outside seating
- Time limited visits
- Coach drop-off point
- Event venue
- Free car parking
- Licenced for civil marriages
- On-site coach parking
- On-site Restaurant/Cafe
- Picnic Area
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- Wedding Venue
- Approx length of visit - 3-4 hours
- In countryside
- Indoor Attraction
- Max group size - 180
- No Smoking Attraction
- Outdoor Attraction
- Village Location
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On Bus Route
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
- Can be packages by 3rd parties
- Cash & Cheque accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Min group size - 25
- Special group rates
- Visa accepted
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- French printed material
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Compulsory for Groups
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Wi-fi available
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.Bank Hols
|2020 (29 Mar 2020 - 31 Oct 2020)|
|Monday - Wednesday||10:30||- 17:00*|
|Thursday - Saturday||Closed*|
* Last admission 4pm
Closed Thursday, Friday, Saturday.
Please note the Butterfly House is only open from the beginning of May until the end of September.
Nearest major road is M5. Join A38, either Jct 13 or 14. Approx 8 Miles from either junction travelling north or south. Follow signs to Berkley, castle is signposted
Public Transport Directions
Nearest train stations are Cam & Dursley or Bristol Parkway. Limited bus services are available to Berkeley.
- Welcome to Berkeley Castle