Westonbirt Arboretum is a remarkable place for people to enjoy and learn about trees. Borne of a Victorian passion for plant collecting, around 15,000 trees from all over the globe now offer the perfect setting to escape, relax or have an adventure…
Covid-19 update: All members and visitors must book a ticket and time slot entry period to enter the site.
Dogs: As usual dogs are welcome in Silk Wood and on the Downs, but we are asking all visitors to keep their dogs on leads for the moment to enable social distancing on site.
Children's scooters and bikes: For the moment we are unable to welcome children's bikes and scooters onto site.
The restaurant is open but only for take-away and no indoor or outdoor seating is available. Picnic tables are available outside the restaurant area and on the Downs. Contactless payment only in the restaurant and a limited menu will be available and found on our website. One way queuing systems will be in operation.
The shop is open 9.30 to 5pm. Please wash hands and use hand sanitiser provided when entering and follow the one way system.
Please wash hands before and after using play equipment.
Mobility scooters will be available to hire free of charge. You can book a scooter, free of charge when you book tickets (minimum of aday in advance) and are only available for timeslots before 2.40pm.
The STIHL Treetop Walkway is open but with a one way system. The crow's nest is closed.
Toilets are open but may close periodically throughout the day for cleaning.
Some facilities will remain closed until further notice: Welcome Building and Christopher Mitchell Interpretation Centre, Shuttle Service and Exploratree play area.
Created by Victorian entrepreneur Robert Holford, its 240 hectares (600 acres) were planted during an exciting period of plant hunting, when trees and shrubs from all over the globe were introduced to Britain.
Unlike other arboretums, the landscape here was laid out aesthetically rather than in a botanical order, meaning Westonbirt Arboretum is truly one of the most beautiful tree gardens to be found anywhere in the world.
Pop into the Welcome Building at the start of your visit – you’ll find lots of interesting information to help you make the most of your visit as well as stories about Westonbirt’s trees and how they are cared for.
There are seasonal trail leaflets, which will guide you around some of the most amazing trees in our tree collection – hand-picked by us!
Take a walk on the STIHL Treetop Walkway, 300 metres long it gradually rises on gentle inclines to a height of 13 metres offering spectacular views across the arboretum landscape. It is accessible to visitors on foot, using mobility scooters, wheelchairs and pushchairs and to those with dogs on leads. It leads visitors from near the Welcome Building into the treetops of the beautiful Silk Wood.
For families, our play trail is a great way to fire children’s imaginations and, in such stunning surroundings, it’s an enjoyable adventure for the whole family.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult - Autumn Season||£15.00|
|Adult - March to Nov excluding Oct||£11.00 per person per day|
|Child 5-18 - Autumn Season||£4.00|
|Child 5-18 March to Nov ex Oct||£4.00 per person per day|
|Concession - Autumn Season||£10.00 per ticket|
|Concession - March to Nov excluding Oct||£7.00 per person per day|
Under 5s free. Concession prices include Students, Jobseekers, Cyclists & Walkers
Group rates available but must be pre-booked.
Reduced prices from 1st December - 28 February.
Winter (December - February)
• Adult: £8
• Students & job seekers: £5
• Child (5-18 years): £3
Under 5s go free
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2020
- Accept Children over 7
- Gift Shop
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Hearing loop in shop and Welcome Building.
- Facilities for the Disabled
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors - 21 spaces located close to Welcome Building.
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors - Registered Changing Place includes toilet facilities as well as equipment such as a height adjustable changing bed and a ceiling hoist. The hoist can lift up to 190kg and allows users easy movement in all dimensions around the room.
- Childrens Play Area
- On-Site café/restaurant - Outdoor cafe open seasonally, hot drinks and food to go.
- Picnic Site
- Restaurant - The Westonbirt Restaurant serves a range of locally source seasonal meals, along with sandwiches, cakes and hot and cold drinks.
Children & Infants
- Accept Children Over 3
- Advance booking essential
- Contactless payment only
- Outside seating
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Pets welcome during COVID-19 restrictions
- Cater for groups - Visit www.forestry.gov.uk/westonbirt-groups for full information on group visits.
- Coach drop-off point
- Dog Friendly
- Dogs Accepted - Silk Wood is dog friendly! Representing two thirds of the arboretum, there’s plenty of space to explore with your pooch! The Old Arboretum is a dog-free zone, providing a safe space for little ones and mobility scooter users. Please keep your dog on a lead on the Downs and around the car park and main facilities.
- Free car parking
- On-site coach parking
- On-site Restaurant/Cafe
- Open All Year
- Picnic Area
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- In countryside
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
- Outdoor Attraction
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On Bus Route
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
- All major credit cards accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Min group size - 10
- Special group rates
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Min group size numeric qualifier
- Groups Accepted
|Winter Season (1 Dec 2020 - 28 Feb 2021)|
|Monday - Sunday||Open|
|Autumn Colours (3 Oct 2021 - 1 Nov 2021)|
|November - Mid Season (2 Nov 2021 - 30 Nov 2021)|
* Final entry to the arboretum is at 4pm December to February (inclusive). Closed Christmas Day.