Westonbirt Arboretum is a remarkable place for people to enjoy and learn about trees. Borne of a Victorian passion for plant collecting, around 15,000 trees from all over the globe now offer the perfect setting to escape, relax or have an adventure…
Created by Victorian entrepreneur Robert Holford, its 240 hectares (600 acres) were planted during an exciting period of plant hunting, when trees and shrubs from all over the globe were introduced to Britain.
Unlike other arboretums, the landscape here was laid out aesthetically rather than in a botanical order, meaning Westonbirt Arboretum is truly one of the most beautiful tree gardens to be found anywhere in the world.
Pop into the Welcome Building at the start of your visit – you’ll find lots of interesting information to help you make the most of your visit as well as stories about Westonbirt’s trees and how they are cared for.
There are seasonal trail leaflets, which will guide you around some of the most amazing trees in our tree collection – hand-picked by us!
Take a walk on the STIHL Treetop Walkway, 300 metres long it gradually rises on gentle inclines to a height of 13 metres offering spectacular views across the arboretum landscape. It is accessible to visitors on foot, using mobility scooters, wheelchairs and pushchairs and to those with dogs on leads. It leads visitors from near the Welcome Building into the treetops of the beautiful Silk Wood.
For families, our play trail is a great way to fire children’s imaginations and, in such stunning surroundings, it’s an enjoyable adventure for the whole family.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Child 5-18 years||£4.00|
|Students, Jobseekers, Cyclists, Walkers||£7.00 per ticket|
Under 5s free.
Group rates available but must be pre-booked.
Reduced prices from 1st December - 28 February.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Accept Children over 7
- Gift Shop
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Hearing loop in shop and Welcome Building.
- Facilities for the Disabled
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors - 21 spaces located close to Welcome Building.
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors - Registered Changing Place includes toilet facilities as well as equipment such as a height adjustable changing bed and a ceiling hoist. The hoist can lift up to 190kg and allows users easy movement in all dimensions around the room.
- Childrens Play Area
- On-Site café/restaurant - Outdoor cafe open seasonally, hot drinks and food to go.
- Picnic Site
- Restaurant - The Westonbirt Restaurant serves a range of locally source seasonal meals, along with sandwiches, cakes and hot and cold drinks.
Children & Infants
- Accept Children Over 3
- Cater for groups - Visit www.forestry.gov.uk/westonbirt-groups for full information on group visits.
- Coach drop-off point
- Dog Friendly
- Dogs Accepted - Silk Wood is dog friendly! Representing two thirds of the arboretum, there’s plenty of space to explore with your pooch! The Old Arboretum is a dog-free zone, providing a safe space for little ones and mobility scooter users. Please keep your dog on a lead on the Downs and around the car park and main facilities.
- Free car parking
- On-site coach parking
- On-site Restaurant/Cafe
- Open All Year
- Picnic Area
- Tea / Coffee Shop
- In countryside
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
- Outdoor Attraction
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking
- On Bus Route
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
- All major credit cards accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Min group size - 10
- Special group rates
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Min group size numeric qualifier
- Groups Accepted
|General admission (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||09:00||- 16:30*|
* Final entry to the arboretum is at 4pm December to February (inclusive). Closed Christmas Day.Dates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change