Perched on the highest point in the Oxfordshire Cotswolds, Chipping Norton, affectionately known as ‘Chippy’ by locals, was once a centre for the Cotswold wool trade and was given a Royal charter by King John in 1205. The medieval Guildhall and St Mary's Church reflect the prosperity brought by the wool trade. Later, sheep farming was largely replaced by arable, but agriculture remained important in this part of the Oxfordshire Cotswolds. Many of the original houses around the market place were rebuilt in the 18th century with fashionable Georgian frontages.
Situated on the western slopes of a hillside that was once the site of a Norman castle this lively little town has a vibrancy about it. Renowned for its antique shops and diverse shopping offer, including a regular market - Chipping Norton retains a robust living, working market town atmosphere. There is good choice of places to eat and top quality entertainment at the wonderful Theatre, famous for its pantomime and visiting world class performers.