Dating back to medieval times, Milton under Wychwood is a large working village on the edge of the Evenlode valley and is one of three villages named after the ancient forest of Wychwood: the others are Shipton under Wychwood and Ascott under Wychwood. The Royal Forest of Wychwood once covered much of the surrounding area but in 1854 an Act of Parliament was passed to clear the Forest for agricultural land.
Three roads meet in the centre of the village where there is a large village green and a play area. The parish church, dedicated to St. Simon and St. Jude, was built in the mid 19th century in Gothic Revival style.
Once a hamlet in the parish of Shipton under Wychwood, Milton grew substantially in the first half of the 19th century and became a village and parish in its own right. It again expanded considerably in the second half of the 20th century and now has a population of almost 2,000.
Nearby attractions include Wychwood Wild Garden which is a beautiful woodland and garden, close to the centre of Shipton-under-Wychwood, Fixholes Nature Reserve near Bruern, Daylesford Organic Farm near Kingham and Burford Tolsey museum .
Located off the main A424 from Burford
Public Transport Directions
Nearest rail station Shipton